February 8, 2010

Where's all the snow?

Wow, what a winter in Michigan. At this point right now we have only received half the amount of snow that fell last year at this time. We actually had more snow fall than Anchorage AK last year. I am actually kind of glad that we had a mild winter.'

Spring couldn't come any faster. I am starting to prepare for garden season already. I ordered a vast amount of pepper seeds from pepperjoe.com and started germinating them indoors last week friday.





This year, I will be growing only peppers as we plan to buy a house in the middle of the summer. I can grow my peppers in containers and just bring them with me.

The peppers I chose to grow this year are Bhut Jolakia (The hottest pepper in the world) Which looks like this poking through:




Tabasco, Peter Pepper, Bolivian Rainbow, Turkish Cayenne, Fluorescent Purple, Hot Banana, Long Slim Red's, and Atomic Starfish. Yes, I know, this is a plethora of peppers. Just how I like it.

I will probably transplant 2 of each variety into 2 gallon containers except for cayenne and tabasco. I will grow 4 of each of those for hot sauce and cayenne pepper powder. I will choose the most vigorous of each and then just give the rest away.

I am quite disapointed that I can't have a larger garden this year but with my new house I will be able to have as big of garden as I choose which will be nice.


Bee season is also coming up. I gotta take a trip out to Saranac and check on the hives out there and supply feed as needed. The bees in my backyard did not survive the winter. They were a late swarm I took out of a tree and didn't have enough time to build up enough honey stores. I will clean out the hive in march and get it ready for new bees.

Look for more posts as spring gets busier and lots of photos as well!

No comments: