December 7, 2009

First Snow

So the first snow of the year comes and I get in my first ever winter car accident (or first ever period I should say). I was being careful and driving significantly slower than other drivers. I was going north on the East Beltline just south of 3 mile in the right lane. I was going about 30mpg when the truck 5 car lengths in front of me decides to stop right in the middle of the highway. Well, they decided they were going to pick up whoever it was that was running down the shoulder. This lady had a huge Ford pickup on a lift with the biggest snow/mud tires I've ever seen. She was going 40mph and stopped on a dime, even in white out snow conditions. I, on the other hand, did not get so lucky. I braked and realized the ABS did not kick on. I started pumping as I was sliding but had no luck. I slowed down signficantly but ended up sliding into them at around 3mph. Since their truck was on a lift, the corner of their bumper slid right up my hood and right corner panel curling it in upon itself and smashing my headlight housing. Not a single scratch on the bumper of her truck though, go figure. And even though she stoppped without pulling over in the middle of a moving highway, it was my fault for rear ending her.

What luck.

No comments: